Monday, May 17, 2010

A day at the Movies....

(the story has come to a slight standstill. I really don't know what happens next.... yet. Stand by.)




If I was a film critic I would have to give the 'Robin Hood' flick a B maybe even a B-. I know, shocking. Now, my scale is on a 1 to 10 spectrum; 10 is the film 'Gladiator'. I compare everything to this film, and why shouldn't I, it is the best. 'Gladiator' contains every element a film should. It has everything someone would want from a film, especially for women. Action, Drama, comedy, danger, excitement, half naked men. Believe it or not but all films are geared towards women. Even the non 'chick flicks' like 'Gladiator' are targeted towards us. I truly believe that a writer is able to use their imagination to create a story to a certain extent, meaning they also have to think of what will bring in the money. What I am trying to say is more women than men go to see a movie. Right? I mean, when was the last time you heard a bunch of men plan out a 'guys night' to the movies? Ok- you got me, maybe to see 'Star Wars'. But seriously, more women than men go to the movies. And if you are a man at the movies, and not having your special 'man night,' then chances are you were brought to the movies by a woman. Women bring the money in. Women are the ones buying the magazines when a film star is on the cover, women are the ones who plan trips to the movies, log it into their calendar. I am getting off track, you get the point. Films are geared towards women. So, as I watched 'The Hurt Locker' last night I began to compare it with the best film 'Gladiator,' and I am sorry to say but not even half way through I would have only rated it at a 5/ C almost C-. Now, what was impressive was that the story felt so true, so real. And even more impressive it was a Woman telling the story. The Director of the film, the first woman to win an Oscar for Best Director and Best Film, Kathryn Bigelow, even stated at the Oscars that critics could not believe how well a woman told this story. To create that kind of emotion, and to have your actors so believable is well worth A Best Director Oscar. But I do have to wonder, with politics and money ruling even the smallest of businesses, how much politics and money rule at the Oscars. It was time for a woman to win Best Director. Here comes my conspiracy theory, or maybe not. Again, I have gone off track. The whole point of this blog was just to say, 'The Hurt Locker' was alright. Should it have won Best Picture, No. 'Avatar' was way too impressive not to have won. Did Ms. Bigelow deserve Best Director, Yes. Do I think she might have gotten it through a little well thought out political plan, Yes. Overall I give the film a B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment