Sunday, June 6, 2010

KILLERS!



With electronics taking over the world, everyone twittering, face booking, emailing, texting, it came as no surprise when the 'King of Twitter,' Ashton Kutcher announced he was going to film the first 13 minutes of his new film 'Killers' on premiere night and share it with the world over the Internet. The film had yet to be released to critics, no junket, nada. What a smooth decision on his part I think, good tactic, cause I gobbled it right up and followed Mr. Kutchers instructions and watched the first 13 minutes and at the end I was dying to see more! I wonder how many others fell into the trap? I wonder if they hired someone to sit and calculate and track how many viewed the online taping, if they can figure out if this might be the best new way to attract people to come and see a new movie. Because like I said, it got me there.
Side Note: Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz just wrapped up a film called 'Knight and Day.' They released a trailer for this film last year. 'Knight and Day' is produced by 20th Century Fox, 'Killers' by Lionsgate. 'Knight and Day' is about a couple being chased down, together they fight to stay alive- sound familiar? Wait a minute I just saw this film, but with Kutcher and Heigl. In the end what film will be better? It's Cruz vs. Kutcher.
Back to 'Killers'. So, after watching the first 13 minutes I rushed off to see the film. I was excited, so many ways the film could go, and with Kutcher already half naked in the first 5 minutes I knew it could only get better. But..... I was wrong.
While Kutcher can be super charming, and Heigl is perfect as the timid, coy, girl next door, the story was too predictable and I had seen every scene all before.
They did bring Tom Selleck back from the dead, and his never changing perfect mustache. But, even he looked bored with his role.
And was it not enough that this couple was being gunned down by who they thought were friends, that the writers felt the need to add a baby to all this commotion. It was as though the writers didn't quite know where to take the story, so just as TV series add a baby to the mix to try and spice things up, so did this film. Wasn't working for me. Didn't really seem necessary.
The fight scenes were good. But as I watched them I began to think: In an interview Ashton Kutcher states that he wouldn't go through glass during the shoot, but every other 'stunt' he did. So basically Ashton is in this 1 hr 40 min. film for approximately 20 minutes. Enough time for us to see him half naked and fake driving.
The best part about the film was that it was just the right length of time. Just when I was searching for my phone to see the time, it ended, and I was happy.
The Second best part of the film was, well, the ending. Now this is a huge SPOILER, in the end Selleck and Kutcher realize they are one in the same, both killers, both secretly working for the government. That is when the funny moments came, and I think that's where the film should have taken off. Selleck and Kutcher = Killers! Now that sounds like an entertaining movie.
I give this film a C. Kutcher and Heigl made a good team and I enjoyed them, but the story line has been overdone, overwritten, overplayed. Hopefully this film doesn't ruin the chances for 'Knight and Day.' And hopefully Cruz and Diaz give us some surprises. Just so I can compare the two I must go see that one next!

No comments:

Post a Comment