Monday, July 5, 2010

Toy Story 3.... a little depressing


Due to my son, the film choice of last weekend was 'Toy Story 3,' Pixar's new animated feature. Carson loves Buzz; when he sees him his face lights up and you can hear him repeat "Buzz, Buzz," for the next 20 minutes. Of course I could not deny him the opportunity to see Buzz on the Big Screen, (can you believe this is only the 2nd film Carson has been to- I'm starting him off slowly).
It has been since 1999, 11 years since 'Toy Story 2.' A lot has happened in my life since then, and I say this because I connected with this story and the fun characters on a whole new level. On a grown up, mommy level, finding myself in tears through half of the film.
Pixar has become a little morbid, I started feeling this way after watching the opening sequence in Pixar's last film 'UP.' But it became very clear in 'Toy Story 3' that they have become a little depressing- or again, maybe this is just the 'grown up, mommy level' I am talking about.
Overall I thought the film was good. Not as exciting as the 1st, or as great as the 2nd, but good. The story, like I said, was a little depressing. Andy has grown up, he will be leaving for college and has to clean out his room; deciding which toys to keep and which to throw away. There are only a few of them left after all these years. I started to cry the first five minutes, when this last group of toys create a plan to try and get their owner Andy to touch them one more time. I felt and ache watching Andy decide wether to get rid of them or not. I remembered Frankie and Fayann, my stuffed animals, and my baby cabbage patch doll I saved all this time, through garage sales, moves, and now I have pulled them out for Carson to play with. I need to have a little girl now to play with the over twenty barbies I still have.
The story continues, this last group of toys finding themselves suddenly at a pre-school. The film kinda became an 'Oceans 11' meets 'The Godfather' meets 'Mission:Impossible', with Lotso the bear as the ring leader, and Ken barbie doll his #2. I don't think there was one child watching this film that could have possibly understood all the underlined meanings. Really, this was a cartoon made for adults. I was even shocked at the language used. 'Idiot' is not an extremely bad word, but if Carson said it I'd wash his mouth out.
As the film neared the end, the ache in my heart increased and I tried to hold back even more tears. Woody, Buzz and the last few toys that had survived together all this time find themselves the closest to death they had ever been. I could no longer hold back as Buzz gives up fighting for survival and takes Jessie's hand. They stare at each other and nod, acknowledging that this will be the end of their little toy lives. Jessie reaches out to Woody, who finally gives up the fight also. They all hold hands, squeeze together and calmly face death head on. I couldn't believe what I was watching. I couldn't believe this was the end. Thank god for the claw. But even as they were saved before they melted away, I couldn't believe Pixar had put such a heart wrenching scene in this film. It was like watching Bambi's mother die all over again, I am 28 years old and still scarred from that.
Oh, and I wasn't going to mention it, but Buzz is 'Latino Buzz' through half the film. It was actually the only time I laughed. My true feelings about this though would have to be its own blog.
I give the film a B-. Will Carson be watching this film when it comes out on video, probably not. He can watch the first 'Toy Story' all he wants though, with an uplifting message and more comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment